Wednesday 15 May 2013

Into the Unknown – Running Outside!


 

Taking over your fears

 
When I first started running, I found the idea of running outside very daunting, and tended to stick to the treadmill, thinking it was the easiest option. The problem? It may be easy, but it’s boring! My biggest fear was that I did not know where to run or how far to run; I didn’t want to be miles from home and then hit a wall.
On top of this I was also too conscious of what people, and worse, what other runners might think when they saw me - god forbid if I should have to stop and walk part of the way!
 
But breaking this fear was the best thing I ever did, gone are the days of sweating it out on the treadmill; I have freed myself and joined the running community!

 

 

It’s all in the planning…

 
 
So how did I conquer this fear of running outside and most importantly, how did I know where to run?
 
It’s easy; all you need to do is plan your route in advance! Use a website that allows you to ‘map’ your run, there are several out there but the one I find most easy to use is www.walkjogrun.co.uk. You can search for routes by postcode and/or distance, maps of suitable routes will then be presented to you.

Alternatively you can create your own route using the tool bar in the top right corner. I used this tool regularly when I first started running because I had set milestones I wanted to achieve; 5k, 10k, etc. Setting an achievable milestone or target is a great way of motivating yourself. Variety is the spice of life though so mix it up with one or two new routes a month, ensuring that you are keeping it interesting, fun and exciting. You will soon realise that there is so much out there to discover; you’ll find local parks you never knew about.
 
 
 

How it Works

 
 
Creating your own route is easy, simply place the cursor where you want to start and then create your route by clicking along the map and a blue line will mapping your route.
 
At the bottom of the webpage you can type in your speed/pace and it will calculate how long your run will take and even better, the number of calories you will burn! You can then save, email or add it to your favourites so that you can review or share the route with friends.
  
Walkjogrun is also available as an app on all smartphones so you can keep track of your routes whilst on the move.
 
I cannot recommend running outside enough; I always feel empowered and ready to take on the world! So next time you are thinking of going for a jog on the treadmill, think again and take a look on walkjogrun, plan a route and surprise yourself! I promise you won’t regret it – I certainly didn’t!
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment